123.hp.com/oj8040 | 123 HP OfficeJet 8040 Features
OfficeJet 8040 is an all-in-one printer targeted at students and home-office users. Setting up the printer is a piece of cake with the HP Smart App. You can also set it up using the Installation CD or download the software drivers from 123.hp.com/oj8040. Sending print jobs from anywhere has become less of a hassle with HP Connected. Read on to know more about the features, Wireless Printer Setup and troubleshooting with OfficeJet 8040.
- Platforms: Windows and OS X
- Functions: Printing, scanning, faxing, copying
- USB Connection: available
- Ethernet Connection: Not Available
- Wireless Connection: Available
- Automatic Document Feeder capacity: 35 sheets
- Paper Input Tray capacity: 60 sheets
- Paper Output Tray capacity: 25 sheets
- Print speed (mono): 8.5 ppm
- Print speed (colour): 6.0 ppm
123 HP OfficeJet 8040 printer Unboxing
- The printer must first be removed from the cardboard box in which it came. Cut through the tape carefully to open the box.
- Take out the pamphlets, guides and Installation CDs and the power cord of the printer. The CD can be used to install the drivers instead of downloading them from hp.com/oj8040
- Pull the printer out of the box using the plastic cover and remove the Styrofoam caps on either sides of the printer.
- Remove all the blue tapes stuck on the printer.
- Open the ink cartridge access area and take out the packaging materials. All of the packaging materials can be recycled.
123 HP OfficeJet 8040 Initialization
The printer must first be switched on. Connect one end of the power cord into the rear end of the printer and the other end of the power cord into the wall outlet. Avoid power strips to prevent printer power issues. Switch on the printer by using the power button.
- Once the printer has been switched on, wait for it to fall silent before moving further with the initialization process.
- The control panel of the printer now asks you to select a language and the region in which the printer is located.
- Next, set the date and time of the printer.
The initialization process is now complete. If you’ve already completed the initialization process, installed ink cartridges and loaded paper, you can download the software drivers from 123.hp.com/oj8040 or 123.hp.com/setup 8040
123 HP Officejet 8040 Ink cartridge Installation
Installing the ink cartridges in the OfficeJet 8040 is a tricky affair. The printer itself has a video that covers the Installation process. However, given below are the steps for installation.
- Open the ink cartridge access area by opening both the trays below the control panel.
- Unwrap the tri-colour cartridge and remove the transparent film covering the copper-coloured contacts. Make sure that you don’t touch the contacts or the ink nozzles as doing so might cause ink clogs and improper electrical connections
- Place the tri-colour cartridge at a slightly upward angle on the ink cartridge slot until it fits snugly into place.
- In the same manner, the black cartridge can be installed.
Next, the printer will ask you to load unused Paper into the Paper Tray.
HP OfficeJet 8040 Loading Unused Paper
- The Paper Input Tray is located on the rear of the printer. Raise the tray and slide the Paper Width guides away from the printer.
- Align a stack of unused papers and insert them into the Paper Tray.
- As soon as the stack of papers has been inserted into the tray, the printer detects it and prints out a Printer Configuration sheet.
- The Configuration page should be scanned to complete the alignment process.
- Open the scanner glass and place this page print-side down on the lower right hand corner of the scanner glass.
- Tap OK to finish the scanning procedure.
Next, the Wireless Setup Wizard should be enabled so that the software can be downloaded and installed from 123.hp.com/oj8040
123 HP OfficeJet 8040 Wireless Setup Wizard
In order to connect your computer wirelessly to the network, the Wireless Setup Wizard must be enabled. Gather the following items before beginning with the process
- Network Name (SSID)
- WPA Passphrase or network password
Once the above things are gathered, make sure that the computer, printer and router are switched on. If there’s any USB cable connected to the computer, disconnect it. Visit HP’s website to change your Wired Connection to a Wireless connection. Follow the steps given below to enable the Wireless Setup Wizard
- On the printer control panel, tap the Wireless Setup Wizard.
- The Wireless setup screen will be displayed. Tap the Settings icon on the Wireless setup menu.
- From the Settings menu, select the Wireless Setup menu.
- Select the Wireless Setup Wizard and select the name of the Wireless network that you wish to connect your printer to.
- Input the password once prompted by the system.
If the name of your network is not displayed on the screen, try moving the router into the printer’s range or enter the name of the network manually using the correct case letters. Passwords and network names are case-sensitive. So, make sure that you enter the correct case letters.
Now, you can go to 123.hp.com/oj8040 to start the software driver download.
123 HP OfficeJet 8040 Software Driver Download and Installation
The Software can also be installed from HP Smart App for Windows. This section tells you how to download and install the software from 123.hp.com/oj8040. The Installation CD that came along with your printer can also be used but the firmware on the CD might not be up to date. Therefore, it is better to download the software drivers from the HP official website. Follow the instructions given below to download and install the software drivers from HP’s official website.
Switch on your system, open a browser of your choice and go to hp.com/oj8040
- Press the Download button to begin the download process.
- Once the download has been finished, click on the program from the browser downloads bar to begin the Installation process.
- The HP Easy Start Utility begins and extracts the required files for the process.
- To make sure the Installation is completed automatically, enable the HP Auto Connect option.
- Follow the instructions on the page to complete the Installation process.
Once the Installation is complete, the printer automatically prints a Web Service Configuration sheet.
HP OfficeJet 8040 Web Services
HP Web services can be helpful to setup ePrint and the HP Printable service. Follow the steps given below to set up the HP Web Services.
- Tap the ePrint icon from the Home screen of the printer.
- Next, touch the Setup icon.
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions of HP Connected to start using HP Web Services.
- If you want your printer to install updates automatically, choose the option that automatically installs the updates.
Now, you can setup the ePrint service on your printer. Note that you should’ve already downloaded and installed the software drivers from 123.hp.com/oj8040 or 123.hp.com/setup 8040 so that Web Services can be enabled.
123 HP OfficeJet 8040 HP ePrint service
ePrint service lets you send documents that need to be printed to your printer’s e-mail address from anywhere with an active internet connection. Before getting started with the ePrint service, make sure that you’ve completed the Web Services Setup process and the software driver installation from 123.hp.com/oj8040 or 123.hp.com/setup 8040. Follow the steps given below to setup the ePrint service for your printer.
- Turn on the printer and check if the Paper Input Tray and cartridges are loaded.
- On the home screen of the printer, touch the ePrint icon.
- Touch Setup and follow the instructions displayed on the control panel if you haven’t enabled Web Services.
- Once the Web service is enabled and ready, tap Print or Print info so that the Printer’s e-mail address is displayed on the screen and an Information sheet is printed with the same information.
If you cannot find your printer’s e-mail address wait for a few hours and try obtaining the printer’s address again.Once you’ve got the printer’s e-mail address, you can send print jobs to your printer. Make sure that the documents are less than 10 Mb and there’s something included in the subject line. If your document is mailed to more than one recipient, your OfficeJet 8040 will not print the document.
123 HP OfficeJet 8040 Air Print Service
Apple Air Print mobile service lets you send documents directly from iPad, iPhone or iPod touch to your OfficeJet 8040 and print them. Check the following requirements before proceeding with the Air Print Setup process.
- Your apple device must have an iOS version higher than 4.2
- Your printer should be connected to the same wireless network as your computer.
Follow the steps given below to print the documents using Air Print.
- Connect your OfficeJet 8040 and your printer to the wireless network.
- Open the document that has to be printed on your Apple device and tap the share icon.
- Tap Print or Print icon.
- From the Printer options menu, tap Select Printer and select the name of your printer from the list.
- Tap Options so that you can change other print settings. Options like paper size cannot be adjusted and must be changed from the printer control panel.
123 HP OfficeJet 8040 Google Cloud Print Service
The Google Cloud Print Service is similar to the ePrint and Air Print counterparts. It’s not only applicable to HP Printers but also to the other Cloud Based Printers. Google Cloud Print is fast and secure as the servers delete the documents once the printing job is complete.