HP Deskjet Printer Setup & Support
HP’s Deskjet range has both single-functionality printers and all-in-one printers that provide functions other than printing like copying, scanning and faxing. Some of these printers can also print high-resolution borderless prints. For the thrifty ones, HP Instant Ink helps delivers ink to your doorstep to help you cut down printing costs. Almost all these printers have Web services that will let you print documents from anywhere with an active internet connection. However, you’ll have to download the drivers from 123.hp.com/setup to avail these services.The following sections tell you how to setup your Deskjet printer in simple steps.
HP Deskjet Printer- Unboxing
- First, keep the printer box upright and open the flaps.
- Then, remove the guides, cartridges and power cords on top. These guides will also tell you how to download and install the software drivers from 123.hp.com/setup
- Next, tilt the printer box and place it on the table.
- Then, gently drag the printer out of the box and remove the Styrofoam caps on the sides.
- Depending on your printer model, you’ll either have to tear away the plastic film on the printer or remove it from the covering.
- Now, if you see any blue tapes on the surface of the printer, peel them away.
- Then, check the ink cartridge access area and Paper Input Tray for packaging materials and remove them. Next, close the ink cartridge access area. If your Paper Input Tray has a slider mechanism, then slide the tray back in once you’ve removed the packaging material there.
- If your printer has a scanner, open the scanner glass lid and remove the Styrofoam sheet on the scanner glass. Then, close the scanner glass lid.
- This completes the unboxing process of your HP Deskjet printer.
HP Deskjet Ink cartridge Installation
- First, take one end of the power cord and connect it to the rear of the printer.
- Then, connect the other end of the power cord into the wall outlet.
- Next, press the power button to switch on the printer.
- Once you’ve switched on your printer, wait until it settles down after making some noise.
- Then, open the ink cartridge access area. Typically, it is located behind the front panel. Some printer models also have cutouts on the sides of the printer that will help you open the ink cartridge access door.
- Then, take the black ink cartridge that you kept aside and unwrap it.
- Next, remove the orange pull tab on the copper colored contacts and insert the cartridge into the exact colored slot such that the copper colored contacts face the inside of the printer.
- Then, insert the tri-colour cartridge into the slot in the same way. To see how to specifically insert the cartridge into the slot according to your printer, click on your printer model.
- Once you’ve installed the ink cartridges, close the ink cartridge access door.
HP Deskjet Loading Plain Paper
- First, open the Paper Input Tray and slide the paper width guides away from each other.
- Next, align a stack of plain sheets on a hard surface.
- Then, insert this stack of sheets into the Paper Tray and adjust the paper width guides such that they touch the edges of the paper.
- Next, close the paper tray.
- Your printer will print out an alignment sheet. Some Deskjet printers don’t print out an alignment sheet until after you’ve installed the software drivers from 123.hp.com/setup
- Next, you’ll have to place this alignment sheet on the scanner glass lid and scan it. The scanning process depends on which printer model you have. Then, click the printer model number so that you see how to scan the alignment sheet.
- Once you’ve scanned the alignment sheet, you can recycle it.
Depending on the type of printer you have, you’ll have to connect your printer to the internet wirelessly before you can download the software drivers from 123.hp.com/setup
HP Deskjet Wireless Setup
Printers with display have the Wireless connection feature. If your Deskjet printer doesn’t have a display, it might have a Wireless button on its control panel if it has the Wireless feature.
You can connect the printer (without touch display) to the internet while you’re installing the software drivers from 123.hp.com/setup
This section tells you how to connect your printer wirelessly if your printer has a display panel.
- First, make sure that your system is connected to the same wireless network that you want to connect your printer to.
- Then, touch the Wireless icon and go to the Wireless menu.
- From the Wireless menu, touch the Settings icon.
- Next, touch the Wireless Setup Wizard and follow the instructions on the screen to connect the printer to the internet.
You can download the software drivers from 123.hp.com/setup
HP Deskjet Software Driver Installation
Follow the steps below to download and install the free firmware from the HP website.
- First, check if you’ve connected your system to the same wireless network as your printer.
- Then, open a browser of your choice and go to 123.hp.com/setup
- Now, enter your printer name and model number in the search box and press Search.
- Next, press the download button to download the software drivers.
- If your printer doesn’t have a display panel, don’t connect the USB cable to your printer until the system asks you to do so.
- Next, follow the instructions on screen to install the firmware.
This completes the download and installation of the software from 123.hp.com/setup
HP Deskjet Replacing ink cartridges
Follow the steps below to replace ink cartridges on your HP Deskjet printer.
- First, open the ink cartridge access area of your printer.
- Then, open the cartridge lock lever lid or press the cartridge down slightly to remove it.
- Next, keep the empty cartridge aside and remove the new cartridge from the wrapper.
- Now, insert the cartridge into the empty slot and make sure that it fits into place.
- Then, close the ink cartridge access area again.
Make sure that you buy genuine HP cartridges and not counterfeit ones so that it doesn’t affect the print quality of your documents. You can also visit HP’s anti-counterfeit website to check if your cartridges are real. Setup cartridges are different from replacement cartridges.
123.hp.com/setup | HP Deskjet How to Scan
In order to scan documents, you should first download and install the full-feature software drivers from 123.hp.com/setup
- First, open the scanner glass lid and place the document that you want to scan, print-side down on the scanner glass.
- Next, close the scanner glass lid and open the HP Printer Software on your desktop. If you can’t find the software on your desktop, you can also search for it from Windows itself.
- In case your printer has a touch panel, touch the Scan button and select the Scan type from the menu. Then, click the appropriate response for the scan to start and wait until the scan is complete.
Although your printer has a display panel, it might not have additional functionalities like scan to e-mail. In this case, you can also use the HP Printer Software on your desktop.
HP Deskjet How to Copy Documents
To copy documents using your HP Deskjet printer, follow the steps below
- First, open the scanner glass lid of your printer and place the document print-side down on the scanner glass.
- If your printer has a touch display panel, then touch the Copy button, choose if you want a color copy or a black and white copy.
- Then, choose the number of copies that you want and start the copying process.
- If your printer doesn’t have a display panel you can use the HP Printer Software to copy the document.
Note that you must download and install the full-featured software drivers from 123.hp.com/setup so that you can also copy and scan documents in addition to printing the documents.